With so many tie options available, choosing the right one can feel like you're at a bar and trying to order a drink. How do you know which is best for each outfit? Should you go with a skinny tie or standard? Should you stick with a conservative pattern or try something fun? What material is best? Is length important? And so on… Here are some tips to help you navigate through the "Tie Bar."
- Showcase your personality. A tie is a great way for you to express yourself. Select a tie that makes you feel confident and sophisticated. There are times when a conservative tie is a must, such as an interview, funeral, or formal gathering, but in most other instances, you can get creative. Squiddledee Ties are the perfect choice when you want to show off your good taste.
- Know your knots. Once you've selected a tie, you need to know which knot to use. Every man should master the four-in-hand, the half-Windsor, and the Windsor knot. These are the most common knots suited for business or pleasure. If you want to get creative, try the trinity or the Eldredge knot.
- Length is important. The tip of your tie should not be too long or too short. When knotted, it should reach the middle of your belt buckle or waistband to balance your look.
- Width matters. As a general rule, the widest point of your tie should match the width of your lapel when wearing a suit because you need to pay attention to proportion in your overall look. If you are just wearing a dress shirt, you can get creative with a skinny tie or stick with the standard size.
- Wear complementary colors, patterns, and textures. Try to pick a tie that is a shade or two darker than your dress shirt and ensure the patterns complement each other. For example, a light blue striped shirt will pair well with a dark tie that has small polka dots. Be sure to also match your tie's fabric to that of your suit.
Keep these tips in mind when you're getting dressed, but as always, wear what makes you feel good. If you haven't already done so, try one of our unique Squiddledee Ties. The quality craftsmanship and whimsical designs are sure to make a confident statement at your next social or casual business gathering.