The heat of the summer can have you feeling unmotivated when it comes to your wardrobe. As the temperature rises, less is more, especially when you are going to be outdoors. Here are some tips for what to wear to stay cool and look cool at your next cookout.
- A lightweight T-shirt or polo is a smart option. Solids are always a good choice, but you can opt for stripes if you feel like mixing it up. If you will be in charge of the grill, don't be afraid to wear an apron to protect your clothes while cooking.
- Match your shirt with a simple pair of khaki or cotton-twill shorts. If you're near the beach or pool and think you might go swimming, you can opt for a long pair of board shorts with a cool graphic tee instead.
- Keep your footwear simple. If the gathering is very casual, a clean pair of flip flops will work. If you prefer something more secure, a pair of canvas tennis shoes will do the trick. It's safe to stick with white, tan or navy, but be sure to skip the socks.
- Accessorize with a sporty watch and a great pair of shades. Leave your metal band at home and opt for a water-resistant watch with a rubber band instead. Aviator glasses or classic black frames are a great way to showcase your style and protect your eyes. If you want to block your face from the sun, add a cool baseball cap.
- If you're headed to an evening or special occasion barbecue, a polished look might be more appropriate. Forego the T-shirt, and choose a linen or light cotton button down shirt instead. Pair with flat-front khakis for a clean look.
Your clothes should fit properly. Shirts and shorts that are too big or too small are not flattering. Regardless of what you choose to wear on a warm summer day, be sure your shirts and shorts are clean and pressed for a put-together look.