When the weather is cold, it's a little easier to stay on top of your style game. Layers, blazers, and overcoats offer lots of ways to boost your look without thinking too hard about it. When the heat rises, you are a little more limited with options just based on the fact that you're wearing a lot less. Here are 6 summer trends that can easily freshen up your look.
- Summer shorts. For warm summer days, you'll want to ditch the pants and jeans. Chino shorts are always a safe bet as long as the length is slightly above your knees and the leg width isn't too wide. You can opt for pastels for a preppy look, or stick with neutrals if you want to play it safe. Black and navy also work well.
- The perfect T-shirt. Since it's going to be hot, you'll want to wear lightweight tees that breathe. Look for options that are comfortable and wear well after being laundered. Always avoid T-shirts that have bad jokes or something inappropriate on them. Consider adding stripes, v-necks, and a variety of colors to your wardrobe.
- Polos and button ups. If your situation calls for nicer attire, a polo or button up will do the job. Pair with chino shorts for a preppy look or with jeans for the evening. Stick with lightweight or linen for button ups to stay cool.
- Lighter-colored jeans or chinos. On days you will be mostly indoors or out late, swap your shorts for a light-colored pair of jeans. Experiment with colors on that end of the spectrum in lieu of the dark wash indigos. You can't go wrong with chinos. The lightweight material is perfect for summer, and the neutral colors go with everything.
- Suits and ties. When you're headed to the office or a formal event, make sure you have a summer suit. The lighter material will be more comfortable and appropriate. Pair with a pastel Squiddledee Tie for a pop of fun and color.
- Footwear. Pick up a pair of cool kicks to add a pop to your summer outfit. Low-profile sneakers in any color can work when done right. Be sure to wear no-show socks with them. You might also see some mid-calf socks making a comeback this summer. If the mood strikes you, go with it.
Before you know it, you'll be bundling up for the winter, so enjoy wearing less, but make the most of it. When in doubt, go with solid colors that fit correctly. If you want to take a risk, go with one article of clothing that looks trendy. You will look like you're trying too hard if you do too much.